Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Funding for Education

Today in class one thing that was brought up was the fact that the govt. spends so much money on jails and other more reactive things while they spend so little on schools. I have spent a lot of time thinking about this problem. Although, I completely agree that the govt. should spend more on schools, I think that as teachers we need to realize that we have four main ways to go about handling it. (there are possibly more these are just four that I see right off the top of my head. I am willing to try other things but this is what I see.) 
1) We continue to do what we are doing right now and complain about it. (this way will not really get us anywhere.
2) Fundraise or ask for donations. Find our own way to get the supplies without spending money out of our own teacher salary. Or if you are willing to you are more than welcome to take money out of your own salary. Or even creating a mass company that gives teachers books for a minimal cost or even for free. 
3) Go to the govt. Write letters, talk to representatives, get the idea out there. 
4) Find a way to work with what you do have. 
I do believe that with any of the first 3 ways, we still need to know how to do number 4. We can't keep using the lack of funding as a scape goat. We need to find ways to give each child an equal education no matter what their circumstance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment